I am a dessert-with-every-meal kind of a girl. Often, my desserts of choice involve lots of sugar and heavy cream, but occasionally I crave something that won’t induce a food coma.
One-ingredient banana ice cream is a natural choice. And yes, that would be simple… but simple’s not really my thing. Plus, IMO, it’s a little lacking in custardy richness. The solution? A coconut custard base.
After tossing my coconut-banana custard into the ice cream maker, I was left sitting and waiting and watching (and tasting), so I decided to add another element: chocolate peanut butter swirl. This part’s optional (and does add some sugar), but I highly recommend it.
The result is a creamy banana ice cream with a hint of tropical flavor and melt-in-you-mouth bits of peanut-buttery chocolate. Definitely a success!
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 c chocolate chips
- 1/4 c peanut butter
- Set two tbsp of coconut milk aside. Bring remaining coconut milk to a simmer in a small saucepan. While it’s on the stove, whisk egg yolks in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Add 1/2 c of the hot coconut milk into the egg yolks in a slow stream, whisking constantly. Slowly whisk tempered yolk mixture into the remaining hot coconut milk.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, whisking constantly, until mixture begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat and stir in mashed bananas and vanilla extract
- Place custard mixture in a metal bowl and place it in the freezer for at least 1 hr.
- When custard is cool, add it to your ice cream maker and continue according to manufacturer instructions (I used a KitchenAid attachement on the “stir” setting for about 20 min)
- When ice cream is almost done, add chocolate chips, peanut butter, and two tbsp coconut in small saucepan over low heat. Stir until melted and combined, then pour in steady, thin stream into ice cream maker.
- Freeze for at least two hours before serving.
PS: How do you satisfy your sweet tooth without the guit? Share your recipe in the comments below!