Add some festive flare to your party invites, presents, and even mason jars with this piñata-esque fringe washi tape.
All you need is some double-sided tape, streamers, and about 5 minutes and you’ve got yourself a pretty roll of washi tape to add to – or start – your collection.
I liked this project so much, I decided to make it a series. Every Wednesday this month, I’ll share a new DIY washi tape tutorial. I’m super excited about next week’s washi tape, so make sure to check back on the 11th!
- Double-sided tape*
- Wax paper
* I used mounting tape,which says it’s permanent but actually peeled off everything I stuck it to very easily and without leaving any residue. You could also use standard scotch double-sided tape for a thinner version, if you don’t mind that it’s not removable.
- Cut a piece of wax paper as long as you’d like your washi tape to be. This will be your backing.
- Stick a piece of double-sided tape to to the wax paper. It’s easiest to get a straight edge if you line it up flush with the top of the wax paper.
- Cut a strip of streamer as long as your tape.
- Fold the streamer three or four times (to speed up the fringe process), then use scissors to make 1/2 inch slits every 1/8 inch or so. The amount of streamer above the slits should be at least as wide as the tape you’re using.
- Carefully position the streamer on top of the double-stick tape so the fringe begins right below the bottom of the tape.
- Use scissors or a rotary cutter to trim the overhang of the streamer above the tape. If you’d prefer thinner washi tape, you can also trim the top of the streamer-covered tape to your desired width.
- Store in strips or wrap around an empty toilet paper roll (cut in thirds) and secure with twine or embroidery floss.
See, wasn’t that easy?
PS: What kind of washi tape do you want to learn to make? Tell me in the comments section below and you’ll probably see a tutorial for it later this month!