I am a definitely a dessert-for-breakfast kind of a girl, but I’ve recently discovered that starting the morning off with something sweet doesn’t have to involve tons of sugar. Or any sugar at all, in the case of these overnight oats with chia seeds!
What they do have is fiber, protein, calcium, potassium, and Omega 3 – and they just so happen to taste like banana cream pie! Bonus: you can whip up a week’s worth in 15 minutes, without any cooking, baking, or skill.
Banana Cream Pie Overnight Oats with Chia Seeds
Makes ~2 1/2 cups
- 1 can regular coconut milk, chilled
- 4 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 c nonfat Greek yogurt (I recommend Strauss)
- 1/2 c steel cut oats
- 1/8 c unsweetened coconut flakes
- Open the can of coconut milk, scoop the solid coconut cream off the top and place in a small bowl back in the fridge.
- Pour the remaining coconut milk into a jar (or other container) and stir in the vanilla and chia seeds. Let sit while you start mixing the other ingredients.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or other large metal bowl) mash three quarters of the banana (reserve the last quarter) and add yogurt and oats.
- Give the chia mixture a stir, let it sit for about 5 minutes, then add it to the bowl.
- Beat the mixture with the whisk attachment (or a hand beater) for 2-3 minutes, until light and fluffy. Transfer to trifle cups, jars, or bowls and set aside.
- Mash the remaining quarter of the banana add it to a clean mixing bowl. Add the chilled coconut cream and whip until smooth and creamy.
- Top oat mixture with whipped coconut cream and sprinkle coconut flakes on top. Refrigerate overnight or up to a week and enjoy!