It’s a beautiful thing when you can make a delicious dessert without turning on the oven. Especially when it combines pumpkin and brown butter!
These pumpkin brown butter rice krispie treats are chewy and crunchy with just the right amount of pumpkin flavor and a hint of spice. They’re especially tasty drizzled with salted caramel sauce. Yum!
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/4 c canned pumpkin
- 10 oz mini marshmallows
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Pinch of salt
- 5 c crispy rice cereal*
- Optional: salted caramel sauce
* Update (12/3/13): I like my rice krispie treats nice and chewy, but this will make them softer and they won’t keep quite as long (not a problem for me since I gobbled them up in no time flat, but worth noting.) If you prefer crispier, crunchier treats, or plan on storing them for more than 24 hours, I’d recommend using 6 cups of cereal instead of 5.
- Butter a loaf pan.
- Cook the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring or swirling the pan regularly, until it becomes golden brown and begins to smell nutty.
- Mix in the canned pumpkin and the mini marshmallows and stir until the marshmallows are melted. Remove from heat.
- Add in the pumpkin pie spice and salt and stir until evenly incorporated.
- Stir in the cereal.
- Transfer the pumpkin krispy mixture to the loaf pan and press in evenly with a piece of parchment paper. Let cool for at least 20 minutes until set at room temperature.
- Remove from pan and cut into slices or shape into balls and add a toothpick or the end of a wooden skewer. Optional: drizzle with salted caramel sauce.